Friday, July 3, 2009

Trailer Park: I Love You, Beth Cooper (2009)

I love you, Voiceover Guy. I missed you. That said, I think my strongest reaction to this trailer is, "Michael Cera's not in this?" This seems right up his alley, considering this looks to be Superbad (which I loved) with Petrarchan overtones.

Other than that, this seems like another fairly generic "last night of high school" party-venture films we've been seeing a lot of lately, and sadly this doesn't look like it's going to be much better. The Beth Cooper character, stunning though Ms. Panettiere almost always is, seems empty in parts and confusing in most other parts. I didn't feel any enthusiasm when she said "I'll have to let you live," and I'm completely mystified by her character's sudden playful turn to romantic interest in the lead character. But wait, it's a rehash of the "my boyfriend's a jerk and I just realized it" plotline I can never really buy.

That said, there are a few giggles here, but not enough to make me buy a ticket. Rent it, as the two Bens might say (Lord forgive me for invoking their name).

I Love You, Beth Cooper professes its love in theaters on July 10.

No comments: