Saturday, August 7, 2010

Back from Vacation

Hey, loyal readers - Cinema King here. A few eagle-eyed Web surfers have noticed an alarming dearth of new content over here. An explanation, it seems, is in order.

See, I've been in Florida for the past two weeks. I realize that last year I set up a few posts to upload while I was away, but things got a little more hectic this summer; between prepping for a move to an entirely different state and catching a Don Rickles show the night before my flight to Florida, I've been a little distracted.

Never fear, though. I'm making up for it this weekend with a few reviews that have been percolating for some time now. We're going to start things off by seguing from the Inception review with a peek at Christopher Nolan's mind-bending (as opposed to his other films, which fantastically mind-blowing) Memento from 2000; we'll also visit Denzel Washington and his Oscar-winning performance in Antoine Fuqua's 2001 flick Training Day. Then it's a celebration of one of the greatest living actors - Johnny Depp; we'll be touring his performances (listed in my viewing order) in 2007's Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, as directed by Tim Burton; 2003's Once Upon a Time in Mexico, directed by Robert Rodriguez; and 2005's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, also directed by Burton. The Depp-fest concludes with a look at what is perhaps Depp's most high-profile role - that of Captain Jack Sparrow in the 2003-2007 Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy, directed by Gore Verbinski. Finally, we'll wind down this weekend with a few laughs; I'm not sure whether I'll be seeing Dinner for Schmucks or The Other Guys - or both - so stay tuned.

Keep your home pages set to The Cinema King, because we're about to have some fun. Stay tuned, loyal readers.

No comments: