Monday, August 28, 2017

The TOTAL FILM Quiz, Part 1

The British film magazine Total Film has a recurring feature called “My Life in Movies,” and the questionnaire got me thinking. As The Cinema King, my life has been significantly affected by the movies I’ve seen and the one’s I’ve continued to carry with me. It’s ten questions – with an eleventh question for Brian Michael Bendis, the comic book scribe whose Total Film interview convinced me to take a stab at the quiz – so here goes. Post your answers in the comments below!

The First Movie I Ever Saw
This question is almost like asking what your first words were; unless there’s documentation, beyond hearsay it’s difficult to recall for certain. My instant thought was The Lion King, which in 1994 would have been pretty close to the mark. Then again, that’s probably more correctly the answer to the question “the first movie I ever saw in the theaters”; I have a strong memory of this being a significant outing for the family, of turning around in my seat to look at the projectionist’s booth as the kaleidoscopic colors and auditory overload of “Circle of Life” screamed into the theater. There’s video evidence that I was watching Fantasia as early as three years old, and on the tape I’m even dressed as Sorcerer Mickey for that Halloween. (Mind you, this was years before any official merchandise authenticated my trick-or-treat vocation, so a sorcerer’s-hat-tip to my mother for meticulously recreating my painstakingly screen-accurate costume.) Further back, I really can’t say.



The Movie That Always Makes Me Cry
As much as I pride myself on being a cerebral and coolly logical sort, I’m on record as being more emotional than the average moviegoer. I’m a misty-eyed featherweight, so it usually doesn’t take much beyond a counterpointed musical note or a carefully inflected facial gesture to move me. Indeed, it might be easier just to list the movies that don’t make me cry, or only the last five that did. There are so many small moments in many movies that get me there – Anton Ego’s closing monologue in Ratatouille, the airport scene in Casablanca, Pa Kent’s “You are my son” in Man of Steel – but if we’re talking about a whole movie, it’s La La Land. It was my favorite movie of 2016 precisely because of the emotional impact it had on me, and it makes the list because I’m getting teary just writing this paragraph. If you’re not a sopping mess during the film’s “five years later” finale, I’m not sure what to tell you; without spoilers, the film winds down with a potent juxtaposition of fantasy, reality, and the musical memory of the film’s peppy and romantic opening numbers. It’s the kind of ending that works on a visceral, emotional, rational, and sensory level, and knowing how La La Land ends makes the whole film a tearjerker.

The Movie That Everyone Loves But I Hate
As the song goes, “Hate is a strong word.” But my answer to this question is, unreservedly, Mad Max: Fury Road. I don’t understand the love for this film – and I don’t think it’s just a case of unrealistic expectations. I heard gushing, glowing things about Baby Driver and loved it, but the same chorus of praise for Fury Road was met with my tidal wave of apathy. It’s not a matter of being a contrarian or disliking this sort of movie; it’s a matter of the film failing to engage me on any level once the initial thrill of the chase subsided while the chase itself went on for two more hours, partway through which Max turns around and drives back the way he came. When I reviewed the film in January 2016, I said, “I got quantitatively the same emotional rush from the trailer for Fury Road as I did from the full film, in about a single percentage of the time,” and I stand by that assessment.




The Movie That Everyone Hates But I Love
Unpredictably, it’s Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. It’s holding 27% on Rotten Tomatoes, although in what just world is Batman v Superman a worse film than Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones, which logged a 65% rating? The two persistent critiques I hear of Batman v Superman are its plodding tone (rubbish) and its infidelity to source material (stuff and nonsense). For my money, it’s a smart (not pretentious – ‘pretentious’ is a three-syllable word for any thought too big for little minds) film that takes us through an object lesson about hope without moralizing, using characters with a 70+-year pedigree to tell us something new about ourselves and the way we relate to the stories we continue to tell ourselves. It’s intricately crafted, such that I find something new every time I rewatch it (which is a lot of times). And I will concede that the theatrical release, excised of thirty vital minutes, did the film no favors, but the Ultimate Edition is where it’s at. I will fight for this film to the death.



My Desert Island Movie
Is there a fate worse than this, to be relegated to an island with but a single film to entertain yourself? (Having to select one book, I imagine, might be worse.) I’m going to fudge my answer a bit and say The Godfather Saga, which remixes The Godfather and its sequel into chronological sequence for seven hours of cinema at its lush and glorious best. With deleted scenes and reorganized content, it’s essentially three films in one: the rise of Vito Corleone, The Godfather, and the fall of Michael Corleone. If I’m watching this film once a month when I actually have more important things to do, I’ll be glad to have it on a deserted island.

Part Two next week...

No comments: