Saturday, July 11, 2009

Trailer Park: Jennifer's Body (2009) [Trailer 1 & Red-Band Trailer]

After Juno, I'll take a look at pretty much anything Diablo Cody does; as a writer, it's nice to see one of the group making it big, especially when the script is pretty clever. And I'll admit that I'm a big fan of Amanda Seyfried, so much so that I sat through the first season of Veronica Mars and even uncomplainingly rented Mamma Mia! Yeah, that's dedication. (Loved you in Mean Girls, Amanda.)

I put both of the trailers up here not because two of the prettiest girls in Hollywood - haven't forgotten you, Meg, how could I? - appear. It's because of the quiet riot behind the scenes which led to a red-band trailer after a few folks thought the official studio trailer didn't do the film justice. It's also because this is such a quirky concept that two trailers really capture the enormity of the quirk.

Looks like this is a fairly straightforward concept. "Jennifer is evil. I mean, really evil." Okay, folks, I'll bite. (Ooh, and I wasn't even going for the pun!) I'm expecting a lot of chick fights from this one, as well as cannibalism, possession, and maybe even lesbians? I feel like The Blues Brothers - this mall's got everything, even another eclectic Juno-esque soundtrack.

Done correctly, Jennifer's Body could be this generation's Evil Dead - campy horror with enough comedy and clever scripting to shake a chainsaw at. Done incorrectly, we could be looking at another horror clunker, the kind we've all gotten to know too well. Either way, I'm willing to give this one a shot. Who knows? This could do for Megan Fox what The Wrestler did for Mickey Rourke.

Jennifer's Body slams into theaters on September 18. Don't talk with your mouth full. (In fact, don't talk at all in theaters. I hate that.)

No comments: