Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Trailer Park: The Ugly Truth (2009)

There are moments when I sit on my throne and say, "Cinema King, it's time to find a Cinema Queen. Someone to enjoy these movies with." Then I see trailers for films like The Ugly Truth and I realize just why it's good to be single. Remember what I said on June 30 about choosing my reviewing materials? The Ugly Truth is exactly the kind of movie I was referring to when I mentioned movies I know I won't like.

In short, I think the guy at 0:22 said it best when he said, "Oh, dear God."

What's wrong with Gerard Butler? First P.S. I Love You and now this? Isn't this the guy who kicked someone into a bottomless pit while shouting 2007's biggest catchphrase? Now he's playing second fiddle to that talentless blonde so-and-so who trashed the writers who she all but conceded helped her win her Grey's Anatomy trophy? (I'll admit that, as a writer, I'm still smarting over her self-important proclamation that the writers of her doctor drama didn't give her good material.) There's a certain charm that Butler has as the miogynistic TV star here, but it's obfuscated by Heigl's irritating presence.

And is there any question in anyone's mind how this movie's going to end? I've seen a sum total of two edited minutes of this film, and I'm already qualified to give a play-by-play that would make John Madden green with envy. The word "insipid" comes to mind. "Predictable," too. Thank God I'm single.

Men in committed relationships will start making excuses on July 24 when The Ugly Truth plops into theaters.

No comments: