Monday, June 22, 2009

Trailer Park: Aliens in the Attic (2009)


Formerly known as "They Came From Upstairs" (which I actually think is a pretty cool title - this one is too generic and has no mystery about it), Aliens in the Attic looks to be a fairly basic kiddie thriller about... well... aliens in the attic. Didn't we see this movie when it was called The Spiderwick Chronicles? (I sure didn't.)

About all this movie has going for it is Ashley Tisdale looking pretty, and I had my fill of that in the three High School Musical incidents--er, movies. Although the one alien who allies himself with the humans is predictably present, one can't help but at least smirk at his forcibly-lovable antics.

But the laughter dies when the ridiculous blond boyfriend is remote-controlled by the bratty boy who instantly resorts to such juvenile tactics as ballet and a numbing game of "Stop hitting yourself." (On that note, what the heck happened to Doris Roberts's career? I suppose if Estelle Harris can land a gig on the Disney Channel, Doris can slum a bit if it means a nice paycheck in a post-Raymond world.) Additionally, did we have to bring back Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger"? I haven't had a song stuck in my head like this since the Miley Cyrus debacle we'll never again speak of.

I'll be skipping this one. The kids will probably laugh themselves silly and maybe even wish there were aliens in their attic, but for parents this is nothing we haven't seen a billion times over.

Aliens in the Attic invades (sorry) on July 31, 2009.

No comments: