Sunday, June 22, 2008

Trailer Park: The Dark Knight (2008) ["A Taste for the Theatrical" Trailer]

[Video deleted by Youtube: See http://atasteforthetheatrical.com/deathtrap/default.htm]

Though I've been waiting for The Dark Knight since the end of Batman Begins (in which Batman examines an evidence bag with a joker card inside), I think this trailer really solidified in my mind the notion that this movie was going to rock. After a lackluster teaser, I was ready for something more substantial.

"A Taste for the Theatrical" (so named for the viral website on which the trailer was found) is one of the best trailers I've ever seen. I think the reason this one works so well is that it preys on the audience's common thought - "Is Heath Ledger going to be any good as The Joker?" Notice how The Joker doesn't really clearly appear on-screen for almost a minute, when we get that eerie shot of "Evening, commissioner!" With that shot, I forget entirely the whole Brokeback Mountain thing and instantly know that this interpretation is going to make me say "Jack who? Who Romero?"

Oh, yeah. And there's some good shots of Batman, accompanied by a goosebump-inducing score by Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard. My only lament is Maggie Gyllenhaal, who seems even more numb than Katie Holmes.

But hey, I was wrong about Heath Ledger. One question, though - where's Harvey Dent?

PS: I know that the YouTube video isn't the best quality, so visit http://atasteforthetheatrical.com/deathtrap/default.htm for the high-definition video (available for download!)

No comments: