Sunday, June 29, 2008

Trailer Park: The Punisher: War Zone (2008)

First of all, it is wholly a coincidence that every single trailer I've reviewed so far is for comic book movies. I think I'll have to review Mamma Mia or something just so I don't seem one-sided.

Can I begin by saying I actually liked the Tom Jane Punisher from 2004? I know a lot of people hated it because it allegedly wasn't faithful to the comic book's tone, but I don't know that that's essential to being a good movie. Sure, "excellent film" it wasn't, but it was good escapist fun "to my liking." So a sequel seems like fun. Except it doesn't have any original cast or crew?

Hey, that's not a problem. The Incredible Hulk was better than the first movie which I kind of liked to begin with. Batman Begins, of course, was a marked improvement on the sad state of the series. Reboots can work.

Except I seem bored by this trailer. Yeah, guns; yeah, vigilantes; yeah, illuminating darkness to reveal gun-toting vigilantes. I get it. I've seen this already. Show me something I haven't seen, marketing team. Show me Wayne Knight as the sidekick! Give me a glimpse of the villain beyond nondescript mobsters at a dark table by a fireplace.

Sure, I'll probably end up seeing this movie, but it's not high on my list based on this trailer.

The Punisher: War Zone drops on December 5.

No comments: